Two-year-old twin brothers have drowned after falling into a garden fish pond in a tragedy described as “every parent’s worst nightmare”.

Emergency services were called to the address in Dalgety Bay, Fife, at around 8.20am on Saturday after the boys – Rhys and Shaun, whose mother has been named as Sarah Aitken – were discovered.

They were taken to Victoria Hospital in Kirkcaldy but later died, Police Scotland said.

Rhys and Shaun Scott

The twins’ parents said they were “devastated” at their loss

The family of the youngsters is being supported by officers, as inquiries are made to establish the circumstances that led to their deaths.

In a statement issued through Police Scotland, the twins’ parents said: “We would like to thank everyone for their support at this unfortunate and difficult time.

“Both boys were long awaited little soldiers who were full of love, happiness, fun and cheek. Individually and together they have touched the lives of everyone they met.

“We along with our family and friends are still in shock and devastated at such a tragic loss from such a ‘freak’ accident.”

Flowers left at house after twin boys drown in pond.

One message left with flowers reads: ‘Rest in peace little ones’

Local MSP Alex Rowley said: “This is awful news and is every parent’s worst nightmare.

“The loss of two young lives from the same family is just heartbreaking.

“My thoughts and prayers, and those of the whole community, are with the family.”

Flowers and messages of support have been left at the house. One note reads: “Rest in peace little ones.”

A Police Scotland spokesman said: “We received a call around 8.20am on Saturday following a report of concern for two children at an address in Dalgety Bay, Fife.

Twins drown

Emergency services were called to the address in Dalgety Bay, Fife

“Two male twins, aged two-years-old, had reportedly drowned in a fish pond and officers attended with the Scottish Ambulance Service.

“The children were taken to the Victoria Hospital in Kirkcaldy where they sadly died.

“Officers are supporting the family at this time. Inquiries to establish the full circumstances are ongoing.”